Information for Prospective Independent Contractors
As an Independent Contractor for Steelman Transportation, you are the cornerstone of our success, and our customers are your customers. We look forward to partnering up and sharing success with you.
At Steelman Transportation, we value our strong relationships with business people like you, who own your own truck and value the freedom and independence of operating your own business.
Trucks at Steelman average two (2) trips per week, each approximately 1,200 miles with less than 15% deadhead. Independent Contractors earn an average of $195,000 per year on approximately 125,000 miles per year.
Steelman Transportation recognizes the barriers that prevent many drivers from fulfilling their dreams of owning their own truck and their own company. In response, we created a lease/purchase program specifically designed to help you reach your goals and achieve success.
We invite you to lease a high-quality late model truck with the opportunity for future ownership. Lease/purchase participants take home a NET average of $67,000 in pre-tax dollars per year.
Independent Contractor Information
- Standard Pay Rate $0.96 per loaded mile, $0.87 per empty mile
- ELD Pay Rate $1.00 per loaded mile, $0.91 per empty mile + FSC
- Paid on practical miles
- No forced dispatch
- Safety bonus
- Stop pay
- Detention pay
- Toll reimbursement
- New York Island bonus - $100.00
- Fuel surcharge
- Maintenance shop at terminal
- Flexible home time
- Layover pay
- Scale Ticket reimbursement
- Downtime compensation for orientation time - $500.00 Orientation Pay
- Roadside inspection rewards
- Referral bonus program
- Tenure bonus plate program
- Passenger program
- Pet program