Information for Prospective Company Drivers
Steelman Transportation invites you to join our team as a company driver. In the Spring of 2014, after much review and research, Steelman decided to once again operate a company fleet for a number of reasons. Primarily, those reasons were:
- Customer freight volumes were through the roof and we needed trucks.
- There are a lot of safe, professional drivers who simply do not want to own a truck. They are looking for a quality carrier to drive for during their carrier.
- To allow our Independent Contractors the time off they need and desire.
- To educate those drivers who would like to be Independent Contractors but are not exactly sure what all is involved in being a business owner.
As a Steelman company driver, you will have the opportunity to earn $66,000 or more per year.
Overview of Payment and Benefits
- Payment: $0.32-$0.36 per mile
- Health insurance available
- 401K plan: 3 percent of weekly earnings paid by company; 100 percent vested
- Paid vacation
- Tarping/side kit/Stop pay: $20 each, per occurrence
- Detention: $20 per hour after 2 hours free time
- Orientation pay: $500
- Safety bonus: $0.03 per mile
- Fuel economy bonus: $0.04 per mile, based on 7.5 miles per gallon
- Clean DOT inspection: $50 per event
- Driver referral bonus: $1,500 per referred driver
- Drivers are required to live within 100 miles of Springfield, Missouri.
- Drivers will work approximately six (6) days out for every one (1) down day.
- We service the lower 48 states and Canada. However, Canada is optional for every driver, and loads are assigned (forced dispatch with the Canada exception).
- Fleet consists of Volvo trucks.
- Trucks are kept at the Springfield, Missouri yard when not under dispatch, are equipped with EOBRs, and are set at 64 miles per hour for fuel economy.
- View sample pay breakdown